Maintaining Your Mooring License

Mooring site compliance and management

After moving off the waitlist and obtaining a mooring licence, you’ll need to complete some simple maintenance processes every year to retain it. Looking after the mooring apparatus on site, arranging yearly inspections, and renewing your mooring site licence are all important steps in maintaining both the safety and smooth operation of your mooring.

How to maintain your mooring once you have a licence

Renew your mooring site licence annually

Your mooring site licence is granted by Rottnest Island Authority (RIA) for a 12-month term and must therefore be renewed each year if you want to continue licensing it. An annual fee is payable when renewing your mooring site licence. If you don’t want to renew your licence or wish to relinquish your mooring licence at any time, it will be offered to the next approved applicant on that bay’s waiting list.

Maintain the mooring equipment installed on site

As the licensee, the mooring apparatus on the mooring site is your property and therefore your responsibility to maintain.

You must:

●    Ensure that the mooring complies with RIA-approved specifications

●    Arrange for the mooring to be inspected annually

●    Possess a valid mooring inspection report at all times

Manage the details of your mooring site licence

You can allocate as many authorised users as you wish to your mooring site, provided that their vessel fits within the certified length of the mooring and displays a current authorised user sticker issued by RIA. Visit the authorised users page for detailed information.

Should you wish to exchange mooring sites with another licensee in the same mooring area, this can be accommodated under the Rottnest Island Regulations 1958. Both licensees must make their request in writing to RIA marine administration at If the exchange is approved by RIA, both licensees are required to pay that season’s applicable mooring exchange fee; refer to RIA’s mooring licence fees for current details.

Licensees are not able to transfer their mooring site licence to any other person. Rights conferred on a mooring site licensee under the regulations are not assignable and can’t pass by will or on intestacy or vest by operation of law in any person.

Making amendments to your existing mooring licence

Add an authorised user to your mooring site

To allocate an authorised user to your mooring, an authorisation form (PDF 479KB) requiring the signature of both parties must be completed and sent to RIA Marine Administration at Once approved, an authorised user permit sticker will be issued, and the authorised user may begin using the mooring site.

For existing permit holders, can complete a Mooring Site Authorisation (PDF 149KB) to obtain authorisation for additional mooring site from a licensee.

To receive authorised user approval from RIA, the following requirements must be met:

●    The nominated vessel’s registered length must be a suitable match for the maximum vessel length (MVL) of the mooring site, noted on your mooring inspection report.

●    The vessel owner must also be the holder of the authorised user permit. RIA will not approve applications completed by a joint owner or any other party.

●    Signatures of authorising licensees are verified against RIA records. Only the licensee of that mooring site can sign their authorisation; proxy signatures will not be accepted.

Register an additional vessel

As a licensee, you are permitted to register multiple vessels to your mooring licence, but they must be registered in your name.

Submit your completed application form (PDF 195KB), along with a Certificate of Registration naming you as a registered owner of the vessel, to RIA Marine Administration at

Once approved, RIA will contact you for payment of the vessel’s annual admission fee. Additional mooring site licence fees may be applicable if the new vessel is larger than your existing licenced vessel.

As with all vessels mooring at Rottnest Island, it must be covered under an insurance policy with the required level of third-party legal liability.

Change of contact details

It is important to advise RIA in writing when your contact details change. This ensures that you can be contacted about your licenced mooring when required. Simply email RIA Marine Administration at to update your contact details if they have changed.

Sale of your licensed or additional vessel

When a licenced or additional vessel registered on a mooring site licence is sold or disposed of, mooring site licensees must notify RIA in writing.

Once the licensee has provided RIA with the date of sale or disposal for a licenced vessel, the licensee will have six months from that date to nominate a new suitable vessel as the licenced vessel for that mooring site. If a suitable replacement vessel is not nominated within six months, the mooring site licence may be revoked by RIA.

All RIA-issued vessel stickers must be removed and returned to RIA, prior to the sale or disposal of a licenced or additional vessel for that season. Failure to return stickers to RIA upon the sale or disposal of a vessel may result in the cancellation of the mooring site licence and any applicable refunds.

Return stickers to:

Marine Administration
Rottnest Island Authority
PO Box 693
Fremantle WA 6959

To notify RIA Marine Administration of the sale of your licenced or additional vessel, send an email to

Substitute your nominated vessel

A mooring site licensee may substitute another recreational vessel owned by them for a licenced or additional vessel registered on their mooring site licence. The application form must be completed and mailed to RIA Marine Administration, along with a copy of its Certificate of Registration and all stickers issued for your prior vessel for that season. The new vessel must be insured with the required level of third-party legal liability.

Prior to purchasing a new vessel, you will need to ensure that it is a suitable length for the mooring. If the new vessel exceeds the Maximum Vessel Length (MVL) for which the licensee's mooring site is certified, a new mooring inspection report certifying that the mooring is suitable for the use of a vessel up to and including the specifications of the new nominated vessel must be provided to RIA. Please see the mooring site licence fees for more information. The mooring inspection report is subject to RIA approval.

Additional mooring site licence fees and annual admission fees may apply if the new vessel is larger than the previously licenced vessel or if the licenced vessel is already registered on the mooring site licence. Please see the mooring site licence fees for more information.

Completed applications to substitute a vessel can be posted together with the return of vessel stickers to:

Marine Administration
Rottnest Island Authority
PO Box 693
Fremantle WA 6959


RIA may audit a mooring site licensee in writing at any time to confirm or update their particulars recorded on the RIA database and to confirm compliance with the conditions of the mooring site licence. Failure to respond to a given notice within the allowable time, or if RIA is satisfied that a mooring site licensee or a vessel registered on their mooring site licence no longer meets the requirements, may result in the mooring site licence being cancelled. In these circumstances, RIA are not required to refund any fees made for that season.

Rafting of additional vessels on a mooring

Licensees and Authorised Users are permitted to tie an additional vessel alongside their primary vessel when using a licensed mooring, provided that the vessel meets the rafting of additional vessel guidelines.

Unattended vessels

During the summer months, between 1 October and 30 April, mooring site licensees may attach and leave an unattended tender or additional vessel on their mooring at their own risk.

A tender is a vessel that is 3.75m long or less, and doesn’t need to pay admission fees. All vessels greater than 3.75m are classed as additional vessels and must comply with the rafting of additional vessel guidelines. Any tender or additional vessel (regardless of size) left unattended should be registered with the RIA as part of your mooring licence. This ensures rangers can identify the vessel as being permitted to occupy the mooring.

Outside of these dates, vessels must be removed from Rottnest Island waters. The vessel must be secured in such a way that other vessels within the SMS are not prevented from using the mooring site.

Please note:

Only licensees can directly secure their tender or additional vessel to their own registered mooring site without the primary vessel in attendance. They must be an owner of the vessel and have it registered on their mooring licence. This is not available for an authorised users’ tenders. The vessel must be secured in a way that does not preclude other vessels within the Shared Mooring System (SMS) from using the mooring site.