The Basin is a premier destination on Rottnest Island and redevelopment will improve visitor amenity to better accommodate the already high and ever-increasing levels of visitation.
This project will implement initiatives outlined in the Rottnest Island Management Plan (RIMP) 2020-24, of which transport management, visitor-related demand management and cultural heritage are key initiatives. The project is designed to enhance visitor infrastructure at The Basin, to provide improved visitor experiences, and further reveal to visitors the natural heritage features of the area. Concept design development for the project have focused on the several key priorities including erosion management, congestion management and enhanced facilities.
Project key features
Key elements of the project may include:
- Reduced congestion with new bike pathway around the rear of the site,
- New shaded seating areas,
- New toilet and beach shower facility,
- New water and sewer connections,
- Erosion management to protect mature trees, and
- Drainage management to mitigate future degradation of the site.
Estimated Project Completion
Stage 1 > December 2020
Stage 2 > December 2021
Download The Basin Concept Design (PDF 960kb)
This project has been made possible by funding from the Australian Government and the State Government of Western Australia.